Thank you for your interest in the Brain Development in Childhood and Adolescence Study
Your child must meet the following criteria in order to participate:
He or she must be
- between the ages of 8 to 13 years
- a typically developing child, who has not been diagnosed with a neurological or neurodevelopment disorder
- able to speak/understand English
- able to lie still for approximately 1 hour while watching a movie
- able to wear ear plugs or headphones
- have certain metal implants or metal dental devices, including braces (check with us regarding eligibility)
What participation involves:
- One initial scanning visit, during which your child will be asked to undergo an MRI brain scan at the Alberta Children's Hospital. The scan itself will last for approximately 1 hour. Your child will also be asked to complete a cognitive assessment (approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes) and you will be asked to complete a questionnaire (approximately 5-10 minutes). Scanning visits usually last for 3 hours. Passes for visitor parking will be provided and participants will be given a $30 dollar reimbursement for their time. In addition, participants may request an image of their brain to take home.
- One follow-up visit. If the initial scanning visit is a success, your child will be invited to return for one follow-up visit in two years time. This visit will be structured like the initial visit. Additionally, participants will receive a parking pass and a $30 reimbursement, and participants may request another image of their brain to take home.